My Clean Bag
LONG LIVE MY HANDBAG
It’s amazing how the handbag has gone from just an accessory to a staple in a woman’s wardrobe. We all love our handbags, it’s therefore important to care for your bags properly to ensure that it has a long life. Periodic cleaning and correct storage will keep your bags looking like new.
The ‘How-to’ of Sustaining the Life of your Handbag
- Empty all pockets and shake gently to remove dust and debris.
- Clean interior of bag by gently pulling it inside out, if you can’t pull out the lining of your handbag, you can use the fabric brush attachment on your vacuum.
- Clean exterior of leather bag with alcohol free baby wipes.
- If there is a big stain, don’t try to clean it yourself. Take it to a leather expert or to a reputable drycleaner as soon as possible.
- If your handbag does not have “feet” on the bottom, you can have them added by a leather-care expert. Feet protect the bottom of the bag from scratches and dirt.
- Never put a pen in your purse without a cap on it.
- Keep makeup in a separate makeup bag.
- Handbags can be hung on a hook for a few days, but any longer puts too much strain on the straps.
- Fill handbags loosely with balls of newspaper to help keep the shape; stiff bags don’t need this.
- Put handbag in the storage bag it came with. If it didn’t come with a roomy drawstring sack then make one out of cotton or use a pillow case.
- Ideally, handbags would be stored in cubbies built into your closet, but you can also store them in purpose built bag tree (see article on how to store your bags).
Send your comments in on what has worked for you. Share your experience.